Tuesday, April 27, 2010

New Plan for Crap Car

The vehicle finally socked it to me – bunked off its job on the way out of town.


Waaaaay out of town.

A psychopath heap of metal with autistic tendencies is what it is, and I've fled.


















It managed itself down the hill, all loaded, in the pouring rain, the road hardly visible, with lots of 4 wheel drive. Splendid.

Later that morning...

Swishing along the tar road - what fun. Past the rain shadow of Meru. Groves of banana trees lushly grow and streams sparkle clearly between the coffee plantations, their bushes standing neatly under mature planted forest.

Out past the last town and onto the open road.

Here orderly fields of maize nestle neatly under the loom of Mount Kilimanjaro. Close but shrouded.

Distant mountains, straight empty road stretching far ahead. Swinging along this open road with the Dust Angels belting out their thing in my ears.

Clucking engine noise. Surely not. This is not part of the swelling violin solo.

Is it?

Stop

Turn round to face the way we came.

Cluck.

Stop.



Much later ...


Sitting in a back street in Moshi in the metal beast watching lizards on a wall in the dying sun.





















But all is not lost. I have a fine idea. I have a plan most cunning.

I see a fruitful future career for this heap of shit car of mine.

Disembowel the bastard and convert it into a lovely display stand.


Selling croc shoes just like this one is.

















Perfect hey?

14 comments:

  1. How frustrating and irritating and maddening and ^^&*ing inconvenient and we all get so totally committed to vehicular relationships!!!

    What about a sacrificial disembowelment and then turn it into a display for "2nd hand" hubcaps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, there's life in the old bugger yet! She (he?) is fixed now. Properly. Apparently! Glad you're still blogging. We miss you here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your car is ready for retirement, it might be happier with plastic shoes stuck all over it.

    How in heavens name, did you get back to Moshi? and now you made it home? What an adventure Pam (wheather you want one or not!)

    glad to hear your safely back to whereever you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That car has a distinctly stationary future - surely a Turner prize 'installation'?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet =That is such a splendid idea - thanks - I was looking for alternative commodities. "Second hand" hubcaps/rearview mirrors and other detachable bits are perfect for that there town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miranda - I know. Isnt that great ... miss you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori = thank you! Yes I left out the adventure bit but met many lovely people and breaking down on the road always revives my confidence in human nature - Kind and helpful people everywhere - amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mud - Ooooh ya. Turner Prize, Turner prize ... hmmmmm yessss

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I'm intrigued to know what a car is like which has autistic tendencies.

    Nice picture of the shoes.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. piece of shit car, man. jeez. good luck with your safari eh? lots love x j

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crystlal - ha yes. That certainly wasnt meant as a twin to the pyschopath comment or any sort of insult. After reading "A Child for Eternity" and also your posts on Amy I believe that autistism carries a special otherworldness that we on this this physical plane just cant really 100% understand or keep with. I hope I havent romanticised it, but I am fascinated (and sort of humbled) by everything I hear about autistic children and the remarks they make and things they do. I also know that sometimes the sheer weight of physicalness and being not able to do what other children do can cause great frustration and tantrums. My niece's best friend has an autistic child. I hope I didnt sound dismissive. I love your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crystal - Oh yes, so the vehicle ... its that dont-really-understand whats-going-on with this engine, coupled with frustration tantrum of the car that is the similarity as I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Pam, can you tell more details, please? We love to hear about your details! In our safe and secure world (compared to yours), our mouths always drop open at the sheer impossible-ness of your adventures. How would I like to get stuck on a road outside any town, with rain and mud or hot sun and monkeys on the road...and car totally broken?! Wow!
    Glad you found helpful people.
    If you want to read another book about autism (I loved Child of Eternity, too), I must find the English title of the German book "Buntschatten", written by a man from Hamburg who is autistic but became an author. I also love Crystal`s blog. Alles Gute!

    ReplyDelete