Thursday, May 13, 2010

Trying on the Tourist Gaze



At the moment I am looking at bits of Zambia through the four-and-five-starred eyes of a well-heeled tourist.

I'm leading an American couple of retired professors around on their first trip to Africa.

In Livingstone we are staying at a five star hotel which has a bizarre mix of décor and props apparently constructing for us a version of Zambia and the Victoria Falls that I dont quite understand - although not for want of trying.

At the reception desk, Baines-like paintings portray semi-naked savages holding spears. They stand in neo-classical, contra-posto poses like off duty ballerinas and lurk under golden baroque pineapple lamp bases.





Pineapples? Yes of course – a tropical fruit.


David Livingstone is still a local hero here. Look at him saving the day in the canoe.



He was the first white tourist to be shown the Falls by local guides.

He was in the wrong place entirely, looking for the source of the Nile, and to salve his disappointment his guides said; “you want to see a big gorge a little further downstream? Its called Mosi a Tunya – Smoke that Thunders.”

He took one look, changed its name immediately and gave it away to the queen.

Back at the hotel for that colonial touch there is the obligatory zebra skin.






and ceiling fans





And pith helmets



and stuff





And a kind of high-English-memsahib style complete with roses




The fabric on the dining chairs are reminiscent of bucolic Victorian rosy-cheeked milkmaids and wistful shepherds.






But wait, they are monkeys dressed up. Or apes? Maybe a nod to the Darwin debate of the time?


Three token wooden artifacts from Mali (many countries and thousands of miles away from Zambia) are a reminder that you are really in generic Africa.




And ostrich eggs from the Kalahari also outside Zambia. But never mind - somewhere in Africa.





Amongst other things (like a historic town tour and the museum), we've done a couple of fairly embarrassing sort of gawking-at-the-poor-people-in-the-market trips from a game viewing vehicle.




Where I'm sure (if we'd been allowed to get out) I could have got my laundry done for much less than the ten US dollars I paid for a single pair of trousers to be washed at the hotel.




Today we went on a village tour which I also found rather embarrassingly gawky - our guide giving more information than we really needed - (“we shower and do our number ones in that little grass hut over there, but number twos we do in the bush outside the village”).


Shew thanks for that – jeez, that should bring the tourist rush...

The elephant encounter was unsurprisingly moving and fantastic.

Located within the park they are free to walk in the bush and their handlers walk with them all day – no enclosures. The training is kind and reward-based.

All the handlers love Danny - a huge bull with tusks - gentle and sweet

So are the profs actually, and they had their pics taken.




Me too




Except that when we saw wild elephants on the drive back through the Game Park they didnt really want to look (already blasé I guess).

Tomorrow we fly to my own home territory for more fun and games.

And more elephants.

I wonder if they will still want to look.

I know I will.

19 comments:

  1. Hahaha, very funny, Pam! I wish they had let you get out and get your laundry cleaned "from the poor people out there". Do they speak Chinyanja in Livingstone? You could have coversed on a man-to-man basis!
    Oh geeze man, this tourist sightseeing is really such a fake, and the hotel deco, too.
    But soon you can show your profs your "real" Zambia, and no one knows it better than you. They are in for a surprise! Please keep us posted and take more and more pictures! Each one is marvellous.
    By the way, we are going to hang up your fabulous old bird drawings (from 1970) in our pavilion! Now THAT is genuine African art!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks Geli - yes I did converse with everyone but had to stick to the intinery of the US based company. Whew. We've finished now and it got even more bizarre.
    Cant believe you still have those old paintings - gosh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can be an interesting experience to see your own country through the eyes of tourists, although I think I'd chafe against the formal 5* tour.

    Mind you, at schook we were taken on a geography field trip to the local council estate "to understand how those people live children" - so maybe it wasn't so different to that market experience after all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear.
    i wish i could see what you'd like to show instead of the expensively contrived "africa". (however it was still really fun to see all the photos).
    and i want to see the elephants where ever they are.
    i just finished return to the wild, geli loaned me. i made a new book cover for it while i was reading, was afraid i might damage the old cover. i just posted about it. i loved the book! so much talent in your family.have you done a book with your art Pam?
    xxx lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know who gets to do the decor at these places, but they're usually so confused as to what they're trying to achieve. Few succeed.
    Still, I didn't mind the virtual visit to the luxurious hotel.

    Wonder why the guide felt inclined to do the overshare? Hahaha how bizarre.

    Blase' (can't find the letter on my Mac) sets in so quickly with tourists and visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mud - yes, I know that is so weird - game viewing how people apparently live. Even the 5* s were fading on some of the venues. Shew

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness - how strange you reading that - very old book indeed. The eles have been great and thanks for your comment. No. Havent written anything - I left that to my ex! Funnily enough my mother published a book in answer to my dad's book Return to the Wild. Hers was titled Not for Me the Wilds from her viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori - sorry, didnt name it but the above was for you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet - Thanks for your comment. Yes isnt it true about the blase thing. But not with everyone. Lots of visitors are full of enthusiasm and thats great. I must ay the longer I stay the less blase I feel. Strange that

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is funny, i thought maybe you were joking, but i went to amazon and there it was. still i think you ought to do a book with your artwork, it would be a way for me (and lots of others) to own your gorgeous art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. heh he he he darlin'...a FANTASTIC post. actually might use it for my A Level students. we're reading Achebe and Wa Thiongo...and this suits perfectly....and ahem, don't knock memsahib roses, hey...ahem. i just can't quite picture you amongst those oddities. did you stain the couch? the profs are lucky to have you as their guide. you're the best. and PS: your car broke down AGAIN outside moshi. i saw it coming back up the hill yesterday for the, now what is it, the EIGHTH time? put it on a truck back to zambia for a ceremonial burning.....? missing you. xxx j

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam! my comment disappeared again - just loved this post; so funny and intruiging, and mystifying xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Val of Monkeys on the Roof said to come and have a look at your blog. So I did – have a look, and I like your style of writing, you have a nice sense of humor. I have been to Africa about a dozen time and only once with a group. I met them in Dakar, but it was good because the tour was about African music and nightclubs and since they don’t start dancing before 11pm or midnight in Dakar I would not have liked to go there alone . We met some great artists like BaaBa Maal, Youssou N’Dour and Thione Seck and talked with them – great musicians. I’ll come back to read more of your posts, but it looks like you started your blog this year?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lori - yes that is funny hey? Maybe I should do an answer to my ex. His is titled The Trouble with Africa. Any suggestions on a title for me? Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Janelle - thanks a lot. Yes Achebe and wa Thiongo should write a tourist guide. Except wa Thiongo wouldnt do it in English obviously. Yup the vehicle is being strange. Mark is getting me an import extension so I may see ya soon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vagabonde - thanks very much for visiting and for your kind comment. That sounds like a fab musical trip you had to Africa . Meeting all those musicians must have been great - I did it once in Maputo- the super Gito Baloi was playing and other great late night music...wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Val= dunno why it keeps dropping but last time too. Thanks for recommending me

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pith helmets? How tacky.

    Five star hotels are weird no matter where they are. They're like movie sets. They have nothing to do with "real" life - whatever that means.

    Thanks for the tour. I'll skip that place if I ever come to Zambia. Oh yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know - pith helmets by the score. Yes, I guess youre right those kind of hotels are a bit theme park - movie sets. ..funny. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete