Sunday, May 30, 2010

Really Lucky Homecoming


I have to admit that it was jolly nice coming home. 


Someone has sent a bag of groundnuts as a gift from their field.




Jumping GK (His name from when we were at school together) has managed to produce some fresh stuff at short notice - damn difficult to grow things here because of animals - so fresh is always bloody marvellous. Looks like he is going to cook dinner.





Well I guess the cat has stuck – both of them. Someone's gift to me that I didnt actually 'accept'.  But there ya go. 




Oh dear someone's shoes look a bit walked-out. I refuse to claim them. Standards have plummeted.



The puku I raised has been seen close to the house. Here he comes and responds to my call. Long past bottles the little devil. He used to butt like mad.


 He would drag the whole herd up to my bedroom window first light every morning during his weaning.  All the herd grazing slowly behind him, the non Pied Piper. Before they realised where they were, he would dash in for his bottle - sorry chaps, I know I'm big and all but just have to pop in here for a quick bottle - the rest of his adopted herd would look rather bemused at where they had ended up and sort of drift off.







He has brought a slightly older male with horns - they spar a bit, but gently, and feed and lie down together. Probably they'll fight later but they seem to be getting it off now, in which case they must be careful because being gay is illegal here too - not only Malawi where you go to prison.





GK and I go down to the river for sundowners. The moon is going to be full.





Chat to the fisherman. He's getting his net in.




Hear feeding noises in the bushes.


Oops, behind the vehicle.





They take no notice and eventually cross behind us on their way towards the river.







It was such a dazzling early evening out in the big sky with water and rippling light that I tried to get GK to pull the moon down a bit back towards Earth.


Just  a bit. See what it would be like.





What a control freak.



Anyway he couldnt.




11 comments:

  1. This is a delightful post, well, apart from the shoes… I am in owe at GK almost catching the moon – good shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! charming post pam. if i bring lots of fresh everything can i please come help feed the puku?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vagabonde - thank you so much. Well yes the shoes....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah nice pamu...glad you're finally home! and what a sweet homecoming, moon, puku and all. lovely lovely. xxx j

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori ann - damn right you can! I would enjoy that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janelle - I know. Its lovely to be back - thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog.

    I will try not to be homesick, specially after all my boasting in my last post! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have rain and storm and cold weather here, me with my company from Argentina, and I`d love to escape to your place now, help feed the puku (our dog Zeus also had a male lover, I heard in every male population, not only humans, the percentage is 7 to 93, not so uncommon, so how can anyone forbid it?)and tiptoe away from the ellies. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Mo. Ha ha . It was good boasting though - see ya soon - I have a piece of crap car plan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geli - sorry for the rain and cold - loved the statistics - And thank you for your kind words

    ReplyDelete
  11. OKay, next post please! No pressure or anything but....

    Word veru is deriere, I kid you not!

    ReplyDelete